Sunday 24 January 2010

113 - New Year, Old Story...

Happy New Year to my regular visitor (that isn’t a typo by the way, there is only one of you and I’m starting to suspect that it isn’t actually a person rather a search engine web crawler checking my page is still up in the remote chance that someone happens to do a search for a cruddy golf website written by a barely literate neurotic).

Anyway, happy New Year. To keep the feel good factor going I’d like to announce that I’ve already broken my New Years resolution. I vowed to play at least one round of golf a week regardless of weather conditions, availability of playing partners or work commitments. I lasted less than a week.

I had hoped to get 18 holes in this week, taking advantage of the empty courses as the fair-weather (sensible) players stay at home leaving the brave souls (idiots) like me to savour the crisp winter air, temporary greens and frozen fairways. The recent turn in the weather has emphatically put an end to this plan.

Snow...The temperature in this part of the world has dipped ever so slightly – when I say ever so slightly I actually mean a lot, an awful lot. Today for example it touched minus seven with the icing on the cake coming in the form of four inches of beautiful, fluffy snow. I love snow, it is probably my favourite type of weather but it does tend to ruin a game of golf I suspect.

The forecast is for more heavy snow over the next couple of days so the only reason to smash my Srixon’s down the fairway would be to use them to create a snowman. Once the snow clears the temperatures are predicted to plummet yet further too so the ball will ping off the fairway as if it was hit down a motorway.

All in all it isn’t the best weather to be playing in so it looks like I’m going to be forced to swerve golf for the next few weeks, at least on the course that is. I will be making a long overdue return to the driving range to hone my ball slicing skills though. There is nothing more soul destroying as fizzing shot after shot into the far right corner of a driving range – I can’t wait!

Feel free to drop by over the coming weeks to see if I’ve made any progress whatsoever or if I’m still utterly, utterly clueless. Chances are I’ve actually regressed but at least it might be mildly amusing watching me go postal on these pages I suppose.

2 comments:

Dexter(QuoteGuy) said...

It's not your fault buddy. Blame it on the weather. It's pouring rain here in S. Florida so I feel your pain. Hit 'em straight whenever the snow decides to melt.

Roo said...

Thanks for the encouragement Dexter. We thought the crappy weather had finally broken but yesterday the snow returned. Right now it is raining hard which I know will make the local courses unplayable after all the cold weather recently. Frustrating to say the least.