Wednesday 9 September 2009

100 - Still Here...

Well who’d have thunk it, 100 posts to this little blog? To be honest I didn’t think it would still be going past last summer but it has survived a whole year now despite my clear lack of writing ability, clumsy articles and sometimes questionable content. Hey, I’m not complaining, I think I’ve done well to last this long. Thank you for your loyal support – both of you who read it.

So what has happened in a year? Well I’ve taken up golf, discovered it is the most spiteful, annoying son-of-a-bitch sport on the planet, spent enough money at the driving range to pay for my own course, bought two sets of golf clubs and all manner of accessories and clothing (mostly black). Oh and I’ve played the odd round too but nowhere near enough if I’m being honest.

I’ve learnt a lot about myself over the last year – mostly that I can’t play golf, I have no patience whatsoever, I get way too annoyed with inanimate objects (usually small, white objects covered with dimples as it happens), I’m obsessed with wedges, I’m obsessed with Mizuno and I need to be careful what I say on this blog as big corporations have a habit of reading it.

So what has gone well over the last year? Well I’m certainly a better player than when I first went to the driving range 12 months ago, but not THAT much better to be honest. I can’t use my driver but the 3 wood with the stiff shaft I bought the other week at least gives me a fighting chance off the tee. My £10 Howson hybrid is like some sort of magic wand and I’m not bad with a wedge.

The list of things that haven’t gone well is considerably bigger. I haven’t played enough, I gave up on the sport twice, I knackered my ankle and couldn’t play at all for three months, I reached a certain level of ability then didn’t improve and I didn’t join the golf society after pledging my support at their annual general meeting. All in all, nothing to be proud of in that little lot but it does give me a foundation to build upon.

In summary, I am in a marginally better position than I was last year but still nowhere near where I want to be. I have all the gear and still no idea which is irritating the life out of me. The most annoying thing is that all I need to do to edge closer to my goal of being ‘just rubbish’ at this sport is to put in a bit of practice with my mates who are more than willing to help. The next 12 months have got to better than the last.

0 comments: