Thursday 24 September 2009

104 - Forever Autumn...

Every year, when the editors are looking for something to fill their pages, Golf Whine Monthly will have ‘the big debate’ where members of the editorial team will argue the pros and cons of summer golf over winter golf. Although there are many valid and well reasoned points I find myself sinking beneath waves of apathy as, for me, autumn golf is the way forward – all the benefits of summer and winter without the drawbacks from either.

We all know that the weather is a big factor in golf and playing in beautiful sunshine on a warm day sounds idyllic. Unfortunately the weather in this country is rarely like that. In the summer months it is either torrential rain or a normally unheard of heat wave. Trying to concentrate on the million things that need to be done to get the ball to fly where you want it while being cooked in your own juices as the sun beats down is no fun whatsoever.

The winter is no better as, apart from the obvious risk of frostbite that occurs on the course at that time of year, there are the rock hard fairways and stupid winter greens to contend with.

Brilliant Colour...Add freezing rain and hail to the mix and playing golf in winter can be as enjoyable as invasive bowel surgery...performed by an inexperienced junior doctor...without aesthetic...in a back street surgery...in Bangkok.

No, golf in the autumn is a much better prospect in my book. The trees are starting to turn and flash yellows and reds (right) around the fairways breaking up the blanket of green we are usually faced with, it is cooler than just a few weeks before meaning I don’t end up a complete sweaty mess on the final green and there seems to be less ‘traffic’ at the course which is definite bonus.

I’ll try and arrange a round with next week after work before we start to lose the light as the winter nights draw in. If we can get on the first tee for around 14:30-15:00 then we should just about finish before it goes dark although it is a while since I’ve played so there could be a fair bit of Army Golf on show which obviously takes longer!

Before that I need to get down to the range to blow the cobwebs away. It has been a while since I’ve ventured to the range which is bad as I know I need to practice as much as I can. The last time I went I had a bit of a hallelujah moment which I’m keen to try and replicate plus I want to test out my new (that turn out to be old) clubs some more. So that is the plan, I’ll let you all know how I get on.

0 comments: