Wednesday 19 May 2010

131 - Sick Of Being Sick...

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! I’m sick of being sick of being shit at golf so I’ve decided to do something radical about it; I’m getting lessons...well actually I’m not, but I am really. I realise that I’m making as much sense as the instruction manual for a Chinese video recorder so I better explain.

A while back I was fortunate enough to get a free lesson from the Pro at Widnes Golf Club and my game improved immeasurably. I’m certain that with a few more lessons I would have been well on the way to my realistic target of playing off 18 but it never materialised and I soon slipped back into the bad habits which have left me on the verge of throwing my clubs into the canal.

I got in contact with the friend who hooked me up with the free lesson to see what the going rate was these days for expert tuition from a Pro; I was told to save my money as he could go through the basics with me for free – result. Terry is a decent player so I’m confident he will be able to help me out.

What?I’ve been told to bring a 3 wood, 7 iron, 9 iron and wedge and he will go through the routine with them all on the field at the back of his house. I might bring my 5 iron too so I have the full game set (how often do you use a 3 or 4 iron on the course?) Terry said he has a load of auld balls for me to slice across the field too so that is one less thing to worry about.

He also asked me to bring my putter too as we are going to his course to knock a few in on the practice green. I’m looking forward to this part as I’ve never really practiced my putting, I just turn up at the course and three putt my way around the 18 greens like a true clown. I want to see what the Bettinardi can do.

I’m not setting my sights too high but I’m hoping on getting the basics right so I have something to work on over the summer. Once I’m more confident about my stance, grip, alignment and swing I’ll go out with better players but at the moment I’m reluctant to make a fool of myself in front of them although I know they would be supportive and helpful.

It is a strange ‘Catch 22’. I need more practice with help from good players but I won’t go out with them as I’m not good enough. I should bite the bullet, swallow my pride and slice my way around Widnes Golf Club with Terry, Allerton Golf Course with Richie and West Derby Golf Club with Alan, who knows, I might actually get a bit better.

0 comments: