Wednesday 12 November 2008

44 - The Prospect Of Professional Help Is Scary...

I received an interesting phone call the other day. A friend of mine, and avid Robs Adventure In Golf blog reader, rang to say that he had arranged for me to get a bit of professional help. I instantly thought I was going to get sectioned (or be forced to spend a few hours with a primary school English teacher to help with my atrocious punctuation and sentence structure as displayed all over this little corner of the internet).

Thankfully it turns out Terry had arranged for me to play nine holes with the pro at his local track in Widnes. Nicely done!!! It seems that Terry has been printing of my stuff and showing it to the pro at his private course who has been laughing at my pathetic attempts to play the hardest son-of-a-bitch game ever devised by man. I’m not sure if it is pity or just a morbid curiosity to see if I’m THAT shite but the pro has decided to help me out.

I have to meet Terry at 10 a week Sunday so he can show me the course then we tee off at 10:30. After slicing my first tee shot I’ll no doubt be teeing off again at 10:31. Ahem. As I am a guest of Terry I’m going to be on my best behaviour. I won’t be swearing as the ball flies arrow-like into the trees, I won’t be throwing my 7 iron down the fairway after scuffing another shot and I won’t be sobbing like a girl as I miss another easy putt.

Joking aside I’m actually really nervous about the whole thing. Apparently Terry is a really good player (I’ve never subjected him to 18 holes of torture) and the pro is, well, a pro so I’m going to look a complete and utter fucknugget even if I do what I would consider as ok. I know I’m kinda missing the point as I’m there to learn but never the less it is still putting the shits up me. Put it this way, I’m so confident of failure that I’ve just bought 24 new balls!!!

Then again, I could have a couple of hours tuition, work out where I have been going wrong and suddenly elevate myself from ‘absolutely useless’ to the heady heights of ‘just shit’. Stop sniggering at the back, it could happen.

At the end of my session I hope to have had a good morning on a nice course and come away with some tips on how to improve my game. Actually, I’ll be chuffed if the pro can just get me to hit the same shot consistently even if it isn’t perfect, at least that way I have got something to build on. My motto is ‘aim low, you haven’t got as far to fall’ – I’m an ambitious guy.

Terry has also offered to sign us in sometime in the future so me, him, Richie and Lucky can have a pairs competition at his nice course. With that in mind the worse thing that will happen during my soiree is that I’ll have the inside scoop on the first nine holes of course which might just give me the tiniest advantage over Lucky when we commence battle. Chances are though, it won’t make a blind bit of difference!

0 comments: