Sunday 30 November 2008

49 - Rob Loves Jason (In A Strictly Non-Prison Movie Way)...

With my newly learned skills burning a hole in my, erm, head I arranged to meet Lucky at the driving range. I was desperate to see if the tips Jason had given me could be transferred when he wasn’t about. Lucky is now the proud owner of a set of Nike SUMO irons and was desperate to give them a whack. I wanted to have a swing with his bats too as they are ‘game improvement’ clubs similar to what I’m looking to get.

Lucky was playing 5-a-side before meeting me but said there shouldn’t be a problem spending an hour at the range. As I walked in I saw a problem, namely the state he was in. He looked like he had slept rough and then ran to the range from Rhyl or summat then, as he went to speak, he almost coughed up a lung. I’m not so sure all that running around was doing the little fella any favours!

We found a couple of bays at the end of the range and I started going through what Jason has taught me. I brought a tee with me and used it to line the ball up with my target as part of the G.A.S.P. routine. With everything in place I concentrated on my final position and swung at the ball. The little range ball rocketed off the face of ‘Arthur’ into the chill night air. Lucky instantly commented on how much further I hit it compared to my usual effort. Loving Jason’s work!!!

There were some weird noises coming from the next bay as Lucky tried to swing his driver after an hour of 5-a-side and nursing a sore shoulder…he sounded like a constipated Wookie! In the end he decided that it was just too painful to use the big fella and concentrated on his shiny, new clubs. For a fair few shots it was too painful for me to watch as he screwed up over and over again.

I continued with my G.A.S.P. routine and, true to Jason’s word, slowly but surely it started to feel more natural – even the weird left hand/right hand grip although I’m concerned that I’m probably doing it wrong now! I concentrated on the follow through and turning my body to get extra distance which was working an absolute treat. My only concern is that my accuracy has gone to shit but I’m sure I can get it back with a bit of practice.

Actually I’m talking out of my arse. My accuracy had gone to shit with ‘Arthur’ but with everything else it was ok, with my 7 iron it was fantastic. We had a crack at the yellow basket challenge and usually I use ‘Fivey’ to reach the target. I took a chance when heading to the car and took my 7 iron and ‘Mac’ 56* Knife wedge instead of ‘Fivey’ and ‘Niney’ hoping that the new improved swing would work. Boy did it work.

Normally it takes me five or six shots before I start getting close to the yellow basket but with the G.A.S.P. routine and my full swing I was close to the target from the very start. It was the most consistent I have ever been at the range and it was only a matter of time before I bingoed the target to win. Lucky was struggling to get used to his new clubs but was starting to get a feel for them.

Next it was on to the Blue Basket challenge and a chance to practice the high trajectory chip that Jason explained I would use on almost every hole. I didn’t manage to hit the target but the ground around the basket was littered with yellow range balls which was good to see. I’m gonna concentrate a lot on that shot.

Once we had finished our mini-competition I had a few swings with Lucky’s SUMO ‘game improvement’ clubs. After just a few balls I can see why they are recommended for people like me who are relatively new to the game. It is a lot more difficult to hit a bad shot with the SUMO’s compared to my Callaway’s and the more I used them the more distance and accuracy I was getting. I’m convinced it is the way to go for me.

As I walked to the car my head was spinning again, I didn’t want to leave and was amazed with the difference in my game. I still am rubbish but I could see a definite improvement thanks to Jason. I’m itching to practice more but I’m crazy busy all week, I have to get my priorities in order. Fuck it, the Christmas presents, meeting preparation and management report can wait, I’ve got a swing to practice!!!

0 comments: