Sunday 19 July 2009

70 - Here We Go Again...

Right, so what have I been up to over the last few months? Not a lot to be honest. I’ve been reading golf magazines, buying golf books, watching golf in glorious HD-o-vision and buying the odd product from the ever increasingly competitive online stores (I’m looking at you onlinegolf.co.uk). You may have noticed I haven’t actually mentioned playing golf, this wasn’t an accidental omission; I haven’t swung a wrench in months.

I’ve decided to make a conscious effort to return to the driving range to work on my basics, as I know I’ll be rustier than the face of a well-used Oil Can Vokey. One of the many magazines I obsess over had a three-part supplement set designed to help get your score down focussing on the fundamental elements of golf – things like ensuring you have the correct grip etc and I’m going to work through them methodically.

Once I learn how to actually hit a ball again with my driver and irons I’m getting on field with Terry and Richie and I’m going to learn how to chip properly (I find it difficult to practice chipping on the mats at the driving range – end up with my fillings coming out after each juddering impact). When I get a bit more comfortable with chipping I’m getting down to my local municipal and hitting the course hard. I know I have said this before but I’m determined to do it this time.

I want a new set of clubs but I’m not buying them until I can use the set I’ve got now. I have got the cash there, ready to splash and I might make the trip to the driving range at Fiddlers Ferry as the guy at the pro shop there offered me a decent deal on the clubs I was after the last time I spoke to him (January) so I might see what he can do for me now that the economy is on its knees and no-one is spending any money.

Last time he offered me a free wedge but I had already bought myself one, then he tried to tempt me with money off a gorgeous Bettinardi putter but I’ve since sorted myself out with one of those too (more news on this later) so he’ll have to think of something else out, a bag possibly?

Right, so that is my plan. I’m going to try to stick to it as I’ve got most of the gear but no idea. I desperately want to be better at this game but I don’t progress quickly enough which means I get disheartened and give up. I thought golf was supposed to be a relaxing sport; it just stresses me out most of the time!!!

0 comments: