Thursday 30 July 2009

80 - The Aches And Pains...

I’m writing this immediately after having my first session at the driving range in 6 months. I’m sore. My back is killing me, my calves are killing me, I can’t grip properly, I’m sweating and I’m knackered. Other than that I’m fine, actually I’m not. I’m a little disappointed as the session didn’t go as well as I hoped but on reflection I was probably being over ambitious.

I’ve been studying my books, poring over my game improvement supplements and practicing my grip at my desk ready for my trip to Aintree with Richie and it was mostly in vain. My shots were slicing like they were the first time I visited the range last August; it was like the last 12 months have been a complete waste of time.

Looking back at it though I can see a few positives. Although just about everything I hit with my driver curled majestically towards the right of the range the other clubs faired a bit better. Using my Howson recovery club produced more consistent and accurate results. I was able to drive the ball just as far as I could with my massive Mizuno MX560 driver with the bonus of it flying quite low and relatively straight.

Afterwards Richie asked why I would bother using my driver when I was getting better results with a cheap hybrid. It was a good question but I couldn’t give a good answer. I suppose the main reason is because I’m a vain sod who wants to be able to drive the ball effortlessly off the tee rather than see my Srixon scuttle its way down the fairway after being farted on by a poxy hybrid.

Happy! In hindsight I think it would be more beneficial in the long term to get some quick wins so I’m going to continue to hone my shots with the hybrid and try and wrestle some straight drives out of my driver as a secondary exercise.

It is better to be straight than long (no knob gags please, my ego has already taken a bashing tonight)

Another positive was my chipping. I only hit a few shots but it didn’t take me long to start lofting the ball high and straight at the target (which wasn’t the blue basket as they aren’t there anymore – gutted!) I took one of my new wedges and it was a hit with Richie who complimented its weight and feel. He is a lot better than me so it was reassuring to get a good second opinion from someone I trust.

The night ended on a high though with me fizzing a drive about 250 yards straight down the range. On the way down Daniel (Richie’s lad and my favourite vampire/Emo teenager) was telling me about the only time he played golf and how he spent an afternoon trying to recreate the famous Happy Gilmore drive (above) where you take a run at the ball and smash it off the tee. After a few goes I managed it with the last attempt being a bit special.

With my second to last ball I took a run up from another bay and, with a massive amount of luck, connected sweetly. It was easily my best shot with the driver all night, sailing straight and true through the balmy summer air eventually coming to rest a few yards from the back fence. Beautiful. The irony that my best shot came when I was messing about is not lost on me at all. This game is pretty tricky.

0 comments: