Tuesday 1 June 2010

138 - Sand Trapped...

Richie offered to help continue my golfing education this evening with a crash course in escaping the evil sand trap. I have a pathological fear of the dreaded Adolf Hitler (two shots in the bunker) and was keen to learn so it was off to Kirkby Golf Course for some early evening instruction.

We arrived at the course at around 19:30 confident that we would be able to wander up to the bunker protecting the first green (below) and get a bit of practice in but it didn’t turn out that way as wave after wave of late players teed off behind us.

At first we were courteous and waited for them to play through but it didn’t take long for us to get bored and head into the perfectly kept (ahem) bunker - I suppose you get what you pay for and seeing as we paid absolutely nothing we couldn’t really complain.

Here...Anyone who has spent time in a bunker will tell you that it is difficult to get the ball out and onto the green with any real degree of accuracy - unless you are blessed with some talent or put some serious graft in.

Richie went through the subtle art of smashing the ball from the bunker and making it flop gently on the green with irritatingly ease.

After a number of what can only be described as horrible shots I finally got the hang of popping the ball up to escape the sand but getting it to land anywhere near the pin was a completely different story. Occasionally I would get the ball within putting distance but more often than not I would be miles away.

I did hit an absolute peach that trickled agonisingly close the hole but overall it wasn’t a great performance, I know that I need a lot more practice on this part of my game. After my lesson with Terry I could see improvement but the bunker had the beating of me today.

Overall it was a good couple of hours and a real eye opener. Before today I had only been in the sand a couple of times and on those occasions I just smashed the ball as hard as I could and hoped for the best. Now I know there is a technique to getting close, a technique I need to nail.

0 comments: