Thursday 10 June 2010

144 - Belt Up...

As the strange bloke from Bangkok who reads this little blog will tell you, I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to my golf gear but not in the way you might be thinking. I like playing golf but don’t necessarily like looking like the archetypical golfer; I start to physically heave if I see argyle for example. I try to pull off the ‘smart/casual’ look but with little success.

In the pursuit of fairway cool I have found myself looking at the poncy Golf Punk/Bunkered/Trendy Golf type websites scanning the latest and greatest from the catwalks of Paris, Milan and erm St Andrews to help me stand out from the crowd. Presently the only thing that makes me stand out from the crowd is the ferocity and variety of swear words I employ when I have a club in my hand.

While checking out this seasons must haves for skinny male models who have never swung a wrench in their lives I noticed a fascinating trend; it seems that no outfit can be complete without a white belt. I therefore need a white belt. To be honest I needed a white belt as I went out and bought one much to the amusement of my fiancée who thought the whole thing was hilarious.

Twat...Now, I wasn’t brave enough to buy a ‘bang on trend’ J Lindeberg belt so I settled for a snazzy Adidas number.

It is one of those webbing type belts that are thankfully one size fits all as I’m not a skinny male model who has never swung a wrench in my life, far from it as a matter of fact. Just to be on the safe side I ordered a black one too which looks almost as good.

Once I had decided to buy a golf belt I did a bit of obsessing and found that the market for a piece of material for keeping your kecks up is massive. Almost every manufacturer produces a belt ranging from boring black leather to those that glow in the dark with massive, gem encrusted buckles for the golfer that absolutely, positively must look a twat.

I’m keeping my eye on this sector of the golf market as it genuinely intrigues me. I like the idea of standing out a little but I’m not sure about paying over £70 for a strap of plastic with a polished chrome logo from a Scandinavian clothing manufacturer that even some golfers haven’t heard of. “J Lindberg? Wasn’t that an airship that blew up in New York?”

Who knows, I might embrace the fashion completely and get me one of those custom made buckles with my little kangaroo on it made up from Swarovski crystals. Or maybe not...

0 comments: