Thursday 3 June 2010

139 - Sand Blasted...

I mentioned in my last post that the bunker had the beating of me; another thing that took a beating was my wedge. The club comes with what Mizuno call a Raw Haze finish, which is a sort of dark bronze coating designed to come off over time leaving the face covered in spin producing rust. After today the face is shinier than an airhostesses’ grid.

The sexy little 58* baby was fantastic at getting the ball up and over the lip of the bunker but wasn’t tough enough to resist the power of sandblasting. With every shot I could see the coating being stripped from the metal leaving the face looking almost polished in certain places.

I’m hoping that with the protective layer now gone the face with oxidise nicely leaving it nice and rough, ready to shred the cover off my Srixon AD333’s as I chip my way towards the pin…or more likely out of the rough towards the fairway then the pin.

Shiney...Richie kept joking that I was more concerned with the damage to my club than where the ball was going and to a certain extent he was right.

Although the wedge was relatively cheap (£30 from onlinegolf.co.uk – a bargain frankly) I’m not about to wreck a perfectly good club just for the fun of it.

I did a bit of snooping to see what the club would eventually look like once the rust really starts to take hold and the condition it is in now is pristine compared to how it will end up. Eventually it will look like the bodywork of a 1973 Austin Allegro that had been stood in a fjord for 20 years.

The snob in me is appalled at the thought of having this manky club sat next to my delicious MP57’s in the bag but the geek in me can’t wait for the oxidisation process to engulf the face and make it rougher than a night out in Brixton.

I’m expecting epic amounts of bite from the MP-T, which in turn should result in a fair amount of spin (if the right balls are used but that is a whole different topic). If the face decays and my game improves then the little practice session will have been worth it on many levels.

0 comments: