Wednesday 21 July 2010

156 - Scotty Too Hotty…

So after a promising start with his new Nike Method 001 putter Tiger Woods ditched it for his final round at the British Open and went back to his “irreplaceable” Scott Cameron Newport 2. It looks like the Method isn’t the answer after all.

Woods used the Method 32 times on Thursday and 32 times on Friday. The figure rose to 35 on Saturday, which prompted the world number one to go back to the putter that has won him 14 majors and around $90m over the years although it didn’t quite work out this time.

Woods said: "The greens are a little bit faster than they were the first day, I just didn't feel comfortable with my speed, so I went back to my old putter."

Hotty...Despite only playing 27 putting strokes on the final round with the Newport 2, the three time Open winner finished the day with an even par 72.

This left him at 3-under for the tournament, tied for 23rd, 13 strokes behind Louis Oosthuizen and he was under no illusion what part of his game let him down.

"I drove it great all week, hit my irons pretty good, and I did not putt well except for the first day," said Woods. "I believe I had nine three-putts for the week, so consequently, I'm pretty far down the board."

I guess that is the end for the Method then? The 001 was supposed to give him the edge on slower greens but it never appeared he was more effective with his Scotty Cameron.

I’m not sure what Nike will make of this decision, as they were no doubt hoping to sell thousands of putters to fanboys desperate to look like Woods on courses all over the world but with him ditching their flat stick they are going to lose an awful lot of potential revenue.

0 comments: