Saturday 13 September 2008

12 - Marking Your Balls...

Paul in work (not Lucky) showed me the Titleist advert about marking your balls (no sniggering at the back). Basically the video is of a load of professionals showing us mere mortals how they mark their Titleist balls to identify them when playing in competitions. “Out on tour it’s not how you mark your golf ball; it is how you mark your Titleist. How do you mark your Titleist?”

I guess advert is supposed to highlight that loads of pros use Titleist balls and therefore have to mark them so they don’t get mixed up. There were all manner of cocky bastard showing how they use a Sharpie pen to put a dot or a line on their golfy in a cool manner. How cool can a dot or line look on a ball?

Actually, one ball stood out. Some Aussie bloke draws a little Kangaroo which got me thinking. As some of you may know, one of my nicknames is Roo so I decided I should mark my balls with a Kangaroo too although mine will be much better than his effort (whoever he is).

Using state of the art equipment I started to sketch out some ideas. It wasn’t long before my desk was covered in blue Post-it notes with little, badly drawn Kangaroos on them. After an afternoon of drawing (but not working you’ll notice) I had perfected my design. I showed it to people to see if they could recognise my stylised little roo. The initial feedback wasn’t great. Apparently my early sketches (top) looked like everything from an Egyptian hieroglyphic bird to a fucking satellite dish.

After some analysis I discovered that a couple of little changes could be made to achieve the desired effect. In order to make it easy to draw, initially I used straight lines but it seems that Kangaroos aren’t renound for their straight lines so I threw in a few curves and the difference was instant (left). Giving the little fella a pouch helped too. Finally I had a design that people could recognise as a Kangaroo (right).

The next step is to draw it on a ball but as my Calloway Warbird’s already have ‘Roo’ scrawled all over them I think I’ll need to practice on those shitty Dunlop balls I bought to twat away. Oh, and I need to buy a blue Sharpie…

0 comments: